The mission of the INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF LANGUAGE COMMISSIONERS is to support and advance language rights, equality and diversity throughout the world and to support language commissioners so they may work to the highest professional standards.
The INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF LANGUAGE COMMISSIONERS assists the language commissioners role throughout the world by promoting best practices and standards of excellence.
The INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF LANGUAGE COMMISSIONERS values
- Integrity: The association will conduct all activities responsibly with equity and accountability to its membership and profession.
- Service: The association will support its membership by providing the best advice and assistance as appropriate.
- Respect: The association will foster respect for all languages.
- Collaboration: The association will promote interaction among its members and engage with other organisations to advance the profession as well promoting language rights, equality and diversity.
- Independence: The association will promote the principle of independence of language commissioners.
The INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF LANGUAGE COMMISSIONERS objectives are to:
- Promote, support and advance language rights, equality and diversity;
- Share experience, best practices, insights and connections between language commissioners' offices;
- Encourage and facilitate the exchange of information, training and professional development resources between language commissioners' offices (including work exchange opportunities);
- Share evidence-based research in the interest of advancing language rights;
- Increase awareness and understanding of the role and value of language commissioners among Governments, state agencies, policy makers, academia, media and the general public;
- Support regions that wish to create a position of language commissioner or advance their language rights;
- Cooperate with like-minded organisations who value the promotion and protection of language rights and diversity;
- Define, publish and keep under review criteria for the recognition of language commissioners' offices by the association and to accord membership recognition to those who satisfy the defined criteria.